The Gift of Reading
The Gift of Reading lasts a lifetime. Can you help change a child’s life this Christmas?
WHY JOIN THE GIFT OF READING?
More than 1 in 5 Australian children begin school with out the skills they need to read, learn and succeed. With out these skills, they start behind and risk falling further behind with each school year and never catching up.
This can lead to a lifetime of disadvantage, with poor adult literacy linked to higher levels of unemployment, lower incomes, higher rates of welfare dependency and substance abuse.
That’s why United Way is working to end the cycle of disadvantage by collaborating with businesses, government and not-for-profits to improve early childhood development and youth employment in disadvantaged communities.
HOW IT WORKS
As little as $15 can help give an Australian child a better start in life.
By signing up to United Way’s annual Gift of Reading fundraiser this Christmas, you and your company can directly contribute to the literacy skills and long-term learning outcomes of thousands of Australian children.
Your donation will help provide monthly books to children aged 0 to 5, as well as materials for their families to give them the skills and confidence to read with their children.
“When the books arrive, Isabelle will go running out to the mailbox and collect it. She will open it straightaway so everything inside will go flying and then she will sit on our lap and make us read it about 5 times!” Read or watch Isabelle’s story.
HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
The process is really simple – just follow the 5 steps.
- Complete the registration form – Once you are registered we will be in touch with more info and provide everything you need.
- Create online fundraising page – You can complete this for your company using the easy guide and templates we send.
- Introduce your colleagues to Gift of Reading – Ensure your work colleagues know they can get involved too. This can be done via a simple event at the office, such as a morning tea. Or emails and posters might be all that is get your colleagues excited and involved!
- Start fundraising and have fun! – From posters to email templates, we will provide you with resources to support you every step of the way.
- Celebrate successes – Once Gift of Reading comes to an end in your office, it’s time to thank your colleagues (and yourself!) for making the campaign a success. We will provide the materials needed to congratulate your peers.
The Gift of Reading fundraiser generally runs for 2-3 weeks or until Christmas break, but dates are flexible. For more information please visit our FAQs page or contact Karina Roberts on 02 9321 0301 or email@example.com.
The Gift of Reading lasts a lifetime. Sign-up now to rewrite a child’s future this Christmas.