COLLABORATING IN GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
We’re bringing community, service providers, business, government and philanthropy together across Greater Western Sydney to better understand the issues impacting children and youth and facilitate effective, local responses to ensure all children can thrive in school and in later life.
- Families: 2220 (Colyton) 972 (North St Marys)
- Children aged 0-8: 1073 (Colyton) 535 (North St Marys)
- Children starting school vulnerable: 25.9% –37.7%
(22.5% national average)
- Youth unemployment: 19.3 – 27.7%
(12% national average)
WHY WE WORK IN GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY
Greater Western Sydney is one of the fastest-growing regions in Australia. It’s also one of the most culturally and linguistically diverse, as a key arrival point for refugees and new migrants when they first settle in Australia.
However, services and opportunities aren’t keeping pace with the region’s growth, with high rates of unemployment, poverty and housing stress prevalent throughout many communities such as Colyton and North St Marys.
We’re responding by working with community groups, businesses and schools to give local children and youth equal opportunity to thrive.
Working with local high schools to develop tailored school plans, engaging students to lead their own transitions to work, and facilitating support for vulnerable students
Working with local businesses to support a range of early literacy events and activities, including fortnightly reading groups
- Providing free home-delivered books and literacy resources to more than 300 families through Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library
Providing intensive support to build confidence and skills of parents and carers via weekly shared
CASE STUDY: Nick and Sarah’s Story
See how this North St Marys family is working to bring a love of reading into their home.
Get involved in Greater Western Sydney today!
Join the conversation
- Do you live in Colyton or North St Marys?
- Are you a local business, community leader or part of a community organisation?
- Are you a teacher or educator, or run services in Colyton or North St Marys?
- Would you like to donate or support this work to ensure everyone in our community thrives?
We want to hear from YOU!
Share your experiences, challenges and hopes for Colyton and North St Marys in a Community Conversation or with us directly.
Community Impact Manager
New South Wales
Recent hot topics
So far in our Community Conversations, we’re hearing about:
- issues around youth disengaging early from school, many who lack successful working role models
- high pockets of disadvantage and lack of engagement in early learning activities for pre school children