COLLABORATING IN MOUNT DRUITT
United Way Australia’s work in Mount Druitt is coordinated through The Hive, a Collective Impact initiative that represents our “deepest dive” into a community. The initiative is bringing community groups, families and business together to ensure that all children in the 2770 postcode start school well.
Community Profile: Mount DRUITT
- Families: 583 (Willmot) 1138 (Lethbridge Park)
- Children aged 0-8: 360 (Willmot) 671 (Lethbridge Park)
- Children starting school vulnerable: 19.5% –35.6%
(22.5% national average)
- Youth unemployment: 28.7% – 45.6%
(12% national average)
WHY WE WORK IN MOUNT DRUITT
Despite a long history of quality local service delivery, many issues have not improved at a community-wide level:
three in 10 children are ‘developmentally vulnerable’ in their first year of school
the number of children at Risk of Significant Harm is significantly higher than the NSW average
school performance is significantly below the NSW average
unemployment is double the NSW average, and up to 4.5 times higher in some suburbs.
*Mount Druitt is the name of a postcode area comprising 12 small suburbs and a distinct suburb within that postcode. Our “systems” and “postcode” work spans the entire postcode area, while our suburb-level work is focused on Lethbridge Park and Willmot.
The Hive has been co-designed as a:
place to host collaborative work at 24 Anderson Ave, Blackett
process for working together
team to project manage the work
network of individuals and organisations committed to achieving change.
So far, we’ve:
- Formed an Early Childhood Education and Care Working Group to coordinate and improve services for local residents, and helped more families access free and low cost early learning facilities
Contributed to co-design of new service model for Family & Community Services in Western Sydney.
MEET THE HIVE TEAM
The Hive Team: coordinating the work, including facilitation of suburb and postcode working groups.
The Leadership Group: setting The Hive’s strategic direction and overseeing implementation.
The Ambassador Group: championing the initiative and removing systemic barriers to progress the work.
The Community: who are represented in all the above areas and implements the suburb level work.
Get involved in The Hive, Mount Druitt today!
Join the conversation
- Do you live in Mount Druitt (postcode 2770)?
- Are you a local business, community leader or part of a community organisation?
- Are you a teacher or educator, or run services in Mount Druitt?
- Would you like to donate or support this work to ensure everyone in our community thrives?
We want to hear from YOU!
Share your experiences, challenges and hopes for Mount Druitt in a Community Conversation or with us directly.
Community Impact Manager, The Hive
The Hive Engagement Coordinator
The Hive Community Engagement Officer
Early Learning Coordinator, Mt Druitt
Community Change Coordinator, Mt Druitt
Recent hot topics
So far in our Community Conversations across Mount Druitt, we’re hearing about:
- a lack of programs for kids, leaving many kids with nothing to do
- disengaged youth bullying people, coupled with a limited sense of community
- safety and security, especially around service areas and facilities