United Way Australia Privacy Statement
In this Statement, “we”, “us” and “our” mean United Way Australia.
What personal information do we collect and hold, and how do we collect it?
The information we collect will vary depending on your interaction with UWA. While providing services and conduction our activities we may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information about individuals who:
- volunteer for us
- donate to us
- visit our premises
- use our services
- attend or participate in an event or function, including those held at the premises or those of our partners
- interact with us as a partner or supplier while providing or supporting a service or activity
- provide responses in surveys or other feedback
- provide information on a webform
- apply for employment with us
Generally, personal information is collected directly from the individual to whom the information relates. Exceptions include:
- in the case of children, information from a parent, guardian or carer and
- government departments or agencies, educational providers, allied health providers and specialists
- an individuals’ employer, referee or recruitment agency
- publicly available sources of information
- law enforcement agencies
- service providers such financial institutions or donation processing providers
- service provision partners
The kind of personal information that we collect and hold may vary depending on the reason for its collection, the nature of the relationship of the individual with UWA and the services that are provided to the individual. Information may include (but is not limited to):
- name, address and contact details
- date of birth
- employment and business history, including any information relevant to assessing employment applications.
- Photographs, videos and voice recordings
- a record of when you’ve interacted with us in other ways, such as asking for information, spoken to our staff or volunteers, or participated in a media interview
- details of the services we provide to you or services you’ve enquired about, and any additional information needed to deliver those services and to respond to your enquiries
- information you provide to us directly or indirectly, such as through our website or email addresses.
- information you provide to us through our service centre, customer surveys or visits by our representatives
- IP addresses
Collecting personal information from our websites, supplier portals and customer portals
We may collect personal information through our websites, social media platforms or supplier portals and registration systems at our premises. Personal information may also be collected by our third-party service providers who assist us in operating our websites and portals.
UWA may use website analytics to help in analysing how people use our websites and to improve its operation. Our third-party provider may also use website analytics to provide or update our websites.
Third party content (such as social media links)
Content on our websites include third party applications that provide links or social media buttons that allow you to share content through the relevant third-party platforms. These platforms themselves may collect information through your interaction with them. We are not responsible for the operation of these applications or their collection and use practices. These third-party application providers may make their privacy practices available to you via the application or their websites.
Why do we collect your personal or sensitive information?
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information about individuals so we can provide the best possible service to our donors, beneficiaries and supporters, for example:
- to provide services to you and to send communications requested by you
- to provide information about you and your enrolment in our programs
- to assess the performance of our website and to improve its operation
- for our administrative, marketing, planning, service development, quality control and research purposes
- to give you opportunities to support us
- to enable you to participate in our volunteering activities
- to process and record your donations
- to process and respond to any complaint you may make
- to comply with any law, rule, regulation, lawful and binding determination, decision or direction of a regulator, or in co-operation with any government authority of any country
- to identify parties who supply goods and services to us, and to manage the supplier relationship
- assessment of applicants for employment and consultancy, and to manage these relationships
What do we do with the personal information we collect?
We use personal we collect for our activities, including (but not limited to) the following:
- to identify you (if you are a client, supplier or donator)
- to provide and manage our websites and supplier portals
- to provide, tailor and improve our services and service delivery to you
- to consider employment applications or for engagement of contractors and consultants
- to engage and communicate with suppliers and partners
- to personalise and manage your experiences on our websites
- to enable us to meet our obligations under relevant legislation
How do we hold personal information?
We take reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is protected from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We use security measures, systems and processes for both digital and hard copy recorded and stored information.
Overseas disclosure of personal information
We may disclose, hold and use your personal information overseas to our third-party providers or affiliates. Personal information may be disclosed to the
US, UK and Canada, or other providers where our service providers operate.
Where parties are located overseas, you may have rights to enforce their compliance with laws applicable to their data protection laws, but you may not have recourse against those parties under the Australian Privacy Act in relation to how those parties treat your personal information.
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may at any time request correction of, or access to your personal information that UWA holds about you by using the contact information below.
We take reasonable steps to ensure any personal or sensitive information we collect and use is accurate, complete, and up to date. To assist us in doing this, you need to provide true, accurate, complete, and current information as requested. If you become aware or believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect or needs to be updated, you can notify us using the contact information provided below.
How can you complain if you think we have breached the Australian Privacy Principles or this
If you think your privacy has been breached, please contact our Chief Executive Officer (contact information provided below) and provide all information relevant to your complaint.
UWA will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 7 days of its receipt and respond to your complaint within 30 days of receipt. If you have any questions about this Policy, any concerns or a complaint regarding the treatment of your privacy or a possible breach of your privacy, please contact us by:
Mail: Chief Executive Officer United Way Australia
PO Box Q759 Queen Victoria Building NSW 1230
This policy may be subject to changes. Any updated versions of this Policy will be posted on our website.